I came across a variation of this recipe several months back, and have since swapped and adjusted ingredients and methods to one that best suits my taste buds and my dietary restrictions (dairy-free, egg-free). The key three ingredients are: sweet potato yams, black beans, and chorizo. I used to love love LOVE adding goat cheese as a topper, but have since swapped that out for avocado. Serve as a taco salad, burrito, or (my personal favorite), a taco! As an added bonus: DUDES LOVE THIS. I can't even tell you how much J lights up when he comes home and sees that this is what's cookin'. Filling + nutritious + delicious = magic. Enjoy!
2 medium-sized sweet potato yams (the orange kind)
1 can of refried black beans
1 lb. ground chorizo
Tortillas (flour or corn – pick your poison!)
Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, goat cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
2. Wash, peel, and chop potatoes in small bite-sized cubes
3. On a baking sheet, lightly coat the sweet potatoes in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss
4. Bake sweet potatoes for 30–40 minutes, or until edges are crispy
5. Roughly 25 minutes after putting the potatoes in the oven, place chorizo in skillet over medium heat and saute until thoroughly cooked
6. Heat can of beans over medium heat
7. Warm up tortillas in the microwave, or by placing them on an oven-safe dish for a few minutes while the sweet potatoes finish baking
8. Combine all ingredients in a tortilla to serve taco style; top with cilantro, avocado, goat cheese, etc.!